Seattle Opera and Seattle Public Theater are pleased to launch a new initiative: The Youth Opera Project! Students age 7–18 of all experience levels will explore stagecraft, singing, acting, dancing, and more, culminating with public performances of an opera.
Youth participants will work with professional teaching artists in a fun and safe space. We are committed to providing equitable access to the arts, so The Youth Opera Project accepts everyone ages 7–18, regardless of skill level or ability to pay. No prior experience is necessary.
Rehearsals: Thursdays and Saturdays, September 2017 through January 2018.
Performances: February 2 and 3, 2018
- Thursday rehearsals: Seattle Opera Rehearsal Studios, 200 Terry Ave. N., Seattle
- Saturday rehearsals: Seattle Center Armory, 305 Harrison Street, Seattle
- Performances: Cornish Playhouse, 201 Mercer Street, Seattle
Program fee: $900 ($180 per month, Sep. through Jan.)
Includes a minimum of 90 rehearsal hours with professional music and stage directors.
Financial assistance is available. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are four sub-groups within The Youth Opera Project. They are loosely based on grade level, with each student's individual assignment determined by a placement audition.
- Overture (grades 2-3): Rehearses on Thursdays, 4:30-6:00 PM
- Crescendo (grades 4-6): Rehearses on Thursdays, 5:30-7:00 PM
- Advanced (grades 7-12): Rehearses on Thursdays, 6:30-8:00 PM
- Teen Vocal Studio (pre-college training for the serious performer): Rehearses on Saturdays, 11:00 AM-1:00 PM
Scene work and stagecraft rehearsals for all participants in The Youth Opera Project are on Saturdays, 2:00-4:30 PM.
Request more information